Quick Search

Keyword
Title
Author
Seller Id
Advanced Search
 
 

Find us on:

 
Gift Certificate

 
 
Other
       Tell a Friend
Add to Shopping Cart
The History of Huddersfield and Its Vicinity, Sykes, Daniel Frederick Edward
Stock Image
Author Name:    Sykes, Daniel Frederick Edward

Title:   The History of Huddersfield and Its Vicinity

Binding:   PAPERBACK

Book Condition:   New

Publisher:    General Books LLC 

ISBN Number:   1235701417 / 9781235701412

Seller ID:   ING9781235701412

1235701417 Special order direct from the distributor

More Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1898. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER XV. IN previous chapters I have set forth at some length the history of the Episcopalian churches of All Saints at Almondbury and St. Peter at Huddersfield. It behoves now to attempt some account of the origin of some at least, and those the most considerable, of the Nonconformist churches of the town and neighbourhood, and if of some dissenting communities the exigencies of space exact that scant notice be given, and if of others notice even less than scant be found in these pages, the reason must be sought in anything rather than the author's indifference to those spiritual and political movements which led to their establishment. Salendine Nook Baptist Chapel.--In and prior to the year 1739 there lived at Salendine Nook one Henry Clayton, whom the late Rev. John Stock, LL.D, describes as " a good man, not burdened with over much learning, but full of faith and of the Holy Spirit." Mr. Clayton was a member of the Baptist Church of Rodhillend near Todmorden, and Stoneslack near Heptonstall, one church meeting in two places and itself an offshoot from the great mother church of the Baptist communities of Yorkshire and Lancashire, founded in 1675, "within the forest of Rossendale." Mr. Clayton seems for some years before 1739 to have carried on evangelistic work in Salendine Nook, and finally in that year a "commodious meeting-house" was erected at "Sallindon Nook," and was duly licensed, as witness the following certificate: --"West Ryding 1 At the General Quarter Sessions of the TO VIT. Of Yorkshire. J "Peace of the Lord the King begun and holden at Skipton in and for the said Ryding, on the tenth day of July in the twelfth year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord, " History of the Baptized Independent and Congregational Church, meeting in Salendi...



Price = 40.80 CDN
Add to Shopping Cart

cookie